Sunday, July 09, 2006

Standard Transmission Car Trouble

On my way to the radio station last night my transmission ceased to function. Good timing actually, considering the past month.

I was so close to the station when it happened. I was in the middle of the road, unable to get the car into any gear. I was trying pretty hard. Some guy offered to help me but I don't think there's anything he could have done. All I needed was to get the car into some gear, any gear. It was pretty frustrating. Somehow I managed to force the thing into reverse (giving my arm and temper quite a workout in the process), but as I backed down the street no parking spots were presenting themselves.

Finally I found one near the corner... a small spot between two other cars. I knew I would only have one chance to get in cleanly. I didn't do the greatest job. My back tire was vaguely near the curb, but my front was not. I was pretty impressed with myself though, because I was afraid I'd be stuck in the middle of the road. No one was boxed in, so it seemed like all was good. I'd have the thing towed the next day.

Well, today my brother gave me a lift to the car and what do I find under the wiper but (not a ticket as I suspected) and angry note criticizing my parking job. In the note I was called an "asshole", an "idiot", and was accused of drunk driving.

What brought this on? No one was boxed in. No driveway or fire hydrant was blocked. No cars were dinged. Why the hell would anyone even care?? My brother was furious and ready to tear a strip of the perpetrator. I didn't really care, but the drunk driving accusation pissed me off. I don't do that.

So, to the person who left the note on the badly parked car: You are the idiot. You are the asshole. My car died and you should consider yourself lucky I didn't just block your shitty driveway or leave it in the middle of your shitty road. Go fuck yourself.

So, we had the car towed to the garage, and my brother gave his professional opinion on what was happening. We think it's the clutch. I'm not too surprised it wore out given all it's been through lately. I just got my bike back on the road, so I'm not too concerned about having a car in the immediate future. I missed my bike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home