Thursday, June 29, 2006

Harper Didn't Show

...in case anyone was wondering.

It was a fairly typical pre-gig situation. We're sitting around in the bar watching strange techno music videos on the big screen, when around 9:30 Ube asks:

"What am I singing through tonight?"

The horrible truth became clear: there was no PA at the venue.

Hoping to at least score a 1/4" mic, WE and I ran to the mall down the street hoping we could sneak in before the stores closed. We were unsuccessful, despite my (rather cute if I do say so myself) attempts to persude the girl at the store to open the curtain. Thankfully, we have friends in the city, and one of them hooked us up with a full PA at the last minute.

The bad news was, we forgot to ask for a mic stand at the same time. With BB all set up to play first, it was a must, so a second trip was made. In the end, the show started pretty late and we had to switch up in a hurry. As in Toronto, no other bands played. BB got five songs in, GS six. There were maybe ten people there, but every one of them came up front.

Each band played a tight, workmanlike set. There seemed to be a bit of magic missing, but I felt good about the event overall. We did sell a disproportionate amount of merch. Both dates were pretty lucrative, despite small turnouts. I don't know this for a fact, but I've heard bands of our ilk don't move quite as much stuff in the USA.

We have two dates left, and then we're coming home. Tonight we're in Montreal opening for Dandi Wind!! Then we get to share a stage with Spinoza for the first time since February 2005 (this time in F'ton NB).

I'm looking forward to taking a shower that actually makes me feel clean. I feel like dirt is tattooed to my body.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home