Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Kings And Queen Of Kensington

When I left the cafe, we still did not have a definite place to play in Toronto. I found my bandmates in varying states of stress, myself included. We needed something to go right, in a hurry.

Through a series of expensive long distance phone calls and various interneting, it was determined that we would play Planet Kensington. I'd heard this bar was small - really small. This was accurate. It's a tiny punk rock bar in the Kensington Market area.

The bands on the bill at the other venue could not do this show (though some of them came out to support us, which was most excellent), so we were on our own. A few more phone calls were made, and a decent crowd (20ish - a lot in this place) turned up.

GS played first, and it was one of our best sets of the tour. All three of us were happy and felt good. We customarily do a twelve song set back home, but we've been keeping it to ten over the past few shows, with good results. Ube was hopping around like crazy and playing with the audience. The bar was fucking hot, so all he wore was sneakers and underwear.

A crazy accident happened during our set. Our cymbal hit the deck and sliced the cord for our effects pedal in half. We will now play with chorus effect FOREVER.

BB played next and fought through technical troubles the render a solid set. We had one improv part due to a broken string. I'd left my (new) mask back at the house in North York, so I just wrapped a shirt around my head. I was going for a "plaid dreadlocks" effect.

I got to see a couple old Halifax friends I hadn't run into in years. They seemed to have fun. Afterward, Poison, Ube and Tobe went to another show while WE, Eb and I came back to the house to play video games, write blogs, and sleep.

Tomorrow we're off to Ottawa. Russian bar!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home