Saturday, June 03, 2006

Social Events For The Anti-Social

Today I attended a conference for work. It reminded me a lot of a family reunion; you know everybody there even though you have little to nothing in common besides one obvious thing. Most people took the opportunity to socialize a lot. I took the opportunity to try and avoid people without seeming rude. It's hard enough exchanging social pleasantries at work (sometimes) for five days out of seven. A sixth, a day when I'd normally be sleeping in until noon, is close to my breaking point.

This is not a criticism of my co-workers (or extended family, if you're into metaphors). It's just that being pleasant and "not too weird" around these groups is least harmful for my career/relationship with my parents, and this requires turning on a special little engine in my brain that uses up a lot of power.

The engine worked well today though, for having been left on 6 days straight. I had a very nice intermission around lunchtime.

2 Comments:

Blogger creep said...

i'm in antigonish because my grandparents came to visit my mother. i've seen them about 9 times in my entire life.
my brain is working overtime.

6:30 AM  
Blogger the baron ash von foolishness said...

Keep the engine fuelled, is my advice.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home