Thursday, June 01, 2006

Non-Starter

The other day I went to drop off my references to the landlord of the new apartment I'd been considering. I looked around the corner at the doorstep. It's about 12 feet into an alley, and rather concealed from sight, which had never occurred to me before. It's occurred to me now, though, because there on the stoop were two empty malt liquor bottles. No one lives in that apartment right now, so obviously random people go there to drink malt liquor. It's tucked away out of sight, so why not?

Here's the thing: If I move in there, every time I get ready to leave or come home I'm going to anticipate a confrontation with random malt liquor-drinking individuals. I don't need that kind of stress. The apartment is too small anyway.

At first I considered ignoring this discovery and opting for convenience. After all, every apartment I've ever lived in has been the first one I've looked at... actually, there was one exception, but I had help with that one. A dream I had changed my mind. I'm a believer in prophetic dreams as means for making difficult decisions.

In the dream, I am living in the "new" apartment and dog-sitting for Eb while he's out of town. Jav is living at my place, but I don't really know how to take care of her, and she ends up soiling some important papers I had on the floor. I don't get mad though. I figure it serves me right for trying to look after a dog, when I have no idea how.

Now we're back in reality: I wake up and get a coffee on my way to work, with the dream still fresh in my mind. I've picked up a newspaper to read, but carrying those things along with my bike helmet and a bunch of other stuff is not easy. I spill the coffee and soil the newspaper.

Whoooooooaaaaaaaa.

After that happened the doubt lifted from my mind. I'll look for another place.

1 Comments:

Blogger the baron ash von foolishness said...

A little elaboration (rhymes with "A Little Less Conversation").

A friend and I had a philosophical discussion last night about this topic. We played devil's advocate to each other, and it was a great talk. It highlighted our differing views on life. I stand by my decision, but I walked away from the talk feeling a little more suburban than I'd like to. I'll explain.

I have a certain conservatism when it comes to living spaces. That is, my home is sacred to me and a stranger colonizing my doorstep doesn't sit well. My friend pointed out that is not necessarily an act of aggression; it could just be a well-meaning person looking for a place to drink outdoors in private. That's all well and good, but I think personal dwellings should be off limits for that (side note: the landlord reported that this has happened from time to time. I can only assume someone was living there). Maybe this belies my suburbanness.

My friend suggested that, faced with this situation, I could just ask the person to leave. My assumption here is that a person whose ethics permit drinking on a stranger's doorstep could be dangerous. My friend feels that this is a fallacy but to me, the situation is akin to home invasion, which is an act of violence.

I'm bad with confrontation at the best of times, and expecting danger wouldn't make it easier. Just thinking about the possibility would be a huge source of stress.

Why worry about stuff like this? I dunno. I just do.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home