Sunday, May 14, 2006

E.(Male) Do Not Read This (I Only Know One Male E.)

I've never smoked. I may have allowed cigarette smoke as far as my mouth once back in grade 8, but it was gross and I saw do upsides to it. So I blew that crap right outta there. Thank god. What a pain in the ass that habit would be.

When friends are trying to quit smoking, I want to be as supportive as I can, but ultimately I can't relate to what they're going through. I know the frustrations of trying to stop compulsive but highly enjoyable destructive behaviour. Nothing on that level though. I support people in their struggle as best I can. Be nicer than usual. Much positive feedback for the smallest of steps. Keep the conversation away from obvious things. Be smart about where you socialize, and around whom.

I've often heard "no, I don't smoke. Well... only when I drink". I used to think that was a silly excuse, but the reality is alcohol does not help the quitting of anything. It brings with it this "fuck it" sort of attitude. I'm really bad for junk food when I drink. Donairs often seem to make appearances, things like that.

Since I can't know what quitting smoking is like, I can't know if it's realistic to try and quit smoking without quitting drinking. I don't think it would be for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home