Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The State Of Pennsylvania

Upon leaving Philly, we hit the road for Cincinnati. We haven't made it there yet; we're indulging ourselves in the first motel stay of our trip (now on its tenth day). We're in western Penn, near the Ohio border.

Based on the crowd in Philly (who were nice, for the most part), I got the first hints that we may be headed for what I will call Redneck USA. I won't elaborate, just trust me. We've left the eastern seaboard and are penetrating the Midwest.

Footnote: yes, we spent two days in rural Maine. Although that state seems to have a lot of Santa Claus-looking mountain men, I never felt like there were many mean rednecks around. Now, something tells me we've crossed a threshold into redneckdom. Too bad we're not visiting the South.

All that said, rural Penn looks spectacular, even from the turnpike. We tunneled under no less than FOUR mountains! It's great. We listened to an album by W Virginia (next state south) native Hasil Adkins. It's never sounded sweeter or more appropriate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home