Friday, December 28, 2007

Nunchucks

Watching this silly movie with N the other week reminded me of the stereotypes I used to have of street gangs when I was a little kid. Back then, gun violence didn't get the media play it does now (or maybe I was more shielded from it) and guns seemed like something you'd be unlikely to encounter, especially in rural-ish CB. The weapons I most readily associated with your average street-fighting gang were nunchucks. You'd hear stories at school about somebody's older brother knowing some guy who had these quasi-legal things, and used them to be the king of his block. I can't remember if there's a nunchuck scene in the above movie or not, but you'd quite often see them on g-rated movies or family TV shows with plots involving gang warfare. If you ever saw a guy bust these things out, a) he means business and b) you're probably dead.

It seems ridiculous to think of nunchucks being intimidating in this day and age. I'm sure a guy with proper training could use them to badly fuck people up, but guns are so omnipresent now I can't imagine nunchucks ever occupying a significant place in popular culture again. They're something I think of as a quirky relic of the 80s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home