Sunday, December 16, 2007

Steppin' Out

Last night I took N out for dinner to celebrate one year as a couple. We went to (arguably) the nicest restaurant in the city. I figured I had better look decent - formal wear and such. I had to have the pants of my $10 Frenchie's suit let out, but no big deal there. Picked up some dress shoes from the V.V... I own a "dress shirt" but seeing it in the context of the suit made me realize this was not going to cut it. I ended up borrowing one from Dyn-O-Mite. Next, the tie: I own two ties, both black. One is a clip-on, the other was tied for me by someone else (and left that way) many, many years ago. As you can see, I don't dress up a whole lot.

Well, it's a good thing N looked smashing. I was the only guy in the crowded restaurant wearing anything approximating a suit at all. It was "cazh" all around. Collared shirts and swearers, that sort of thing. I think the people next to me were wondering who let the monkey out of the zoo. I guess I went a little overboard and made myself seem low-bred in the process.

"Shucks, Cletus, I'm gonna put on muh fancy suit! Hyuk hyuk!".

Suddenly, I didn't feel like an adult anymore. I felt like a teenager on prom night, attempting to look how he thinks a well-dressed gentleman should, when he really has no idea what's going on.

This feeling, while depressing at first, took a turn for the better as the night went on. At least I'm not one of the squares. I have joie-de-vivre. I live like a young person. I don't care about my station in society. These are desirable qualities, in my opinion.

I think I will go out and get a new suit, though.

1 Comments:

Blogger klc said...

Very cute.

And congratulations!

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home