Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Social Networking Dilemma

So, a few years ago I got a fs account, followed by a "space", which I went on to use quite a bit more. Fs is long dead and ms is moribund. I'm considering getting a fb account, but I dunno...

Other forays of mine into the world of online friending were largely meant to meet girls, which I was not doing much of at the time. Social networking sites did nothing to change this. Now it's not an issue, and I'm really questioning whether I want to continue posting info about myself outside of this blog.

When my high school reunion came up, I asked my friend J if he wanted to go to some of the stuff with me. He was like, "Nah. Anyone I want to see from high school, I'm still in contact with". I can see where he's coming from. I never made any friends through networking sites. I'd get a bit of satisfaction from adding someone I already knew, but in most cases, I'd very seldom check out their profile again. The ones I did look at a lot belonged to people I saw regularly IRL. Hee hee, I said "IRL"...

To ms's credit, I discovered quite a few bands that way, including some very good ones. I think it's a more useful resource for my band(s) than for me, personally. Does fb let you post music?

Anyway, I think I'm gonna hold off on the facetrain for the time being. Maybe people will keep writing/posting pics on their blogs. Or, maybe blogs will become obsolete.

Christian A: If you're reading this, my band is playing your town this summer. More info TBA.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gary F said...

Something I find really interesting is that Americans are still using MySpace hardcore (and it still seems rather popular with Europeans), but here in Canada (especially the east coast) it's pretty much dead. Go figure.

2:56 PM  
Blogger the baron ash von foolishness said...

I didn't know that. It definitely seems passé among the people I talk to. I still think it's a good way to get music out, but I guess there have to be people to listen to it.

4:31 PM  
Blogger 1233 said...

I'm scared of Facebook, too. I was told that it is such a glimpse into your personal life and that of all the people in your network that it has a CNN style scrolling text bar at the top of the screen that says stuff like "Derrick is eating dinner" or "Shaun and Lisa are watching TV" if you're logged on. Of course, you have to set it to say that, but how creepy is that?

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home