Sunday, April 15, 2007

Rebloggitude

After a bout of internet disinterest/anxiety I will now get back to updating regularly. I haven't had a lot of time lately. Fittingly, I'll start with a homebrew update. We bottled the raspberry wheat yesterday, using higher quality caps to avoid the flatness issues we had with the stout. We had a pre-carbonation swig, and it was quite good. We'll likely release it on Friday, April 27th. This will be a party to welcome our new roommate Danny C, as well bidding à demain to Yram and Rocco. Rocco's been extremely affectionate lately, as if he's consciously trying to make the most of his last few weeks here.



He knows more than we think.

In other Rocco news, the stout ale that bore his name was successfully consumed in one night (at least 20L) over the long weekend. Other than a few cap-seal issues and a disappointing alcohol content, it was pretty ok. The party that went with it was great, but the weather was not nice enough to have it outdoors. We ate the easter bunny. No kidding.

I want to eat a little healthier at our barbecues this year. The quality of our finger food has been improving. At the first beer party, my stomach unceremoniously informed me that certain food excesses were no longer an option. We'll still be barbecuing frequently, and I'll cook anything.

On the same topic, I figure on putting out a new beer each month over the next while, so that'll be at least one large party here per month thoughout the summer. We'll also have many smaller-scale events involving good times on the back deck. Keep reading here for updates. The next beer I'll be working on is an IPA. I told the guy at the store that I wanted a recipe that would hit at least 7%. Maybe I was feeling guilty about the stout not getting people fucked up enough. Well, it's time for that ant to be crushed by a mighty sledgehammer of alcoholic devastation. Maybe that's what I'll call the new one... Fjort Sledgehammer IPA. I'll only do that if it cracks 7 though. I'm gonna toss in a couple kilos of honey again.

This summer (maybe sooner) I'm going to buy an ice cream maker. That's what this house needs.

BB hasn't been playing much (until this weekend) because we're trying very hard to write an album's worth of material to have for our summer tour. We're making progress, but it's been tough. We normally take a very long time to write, and seldom do more than one song at a time. We're working on about 6 right now.

I'm planning a trip for June to:



It's almost warm enough to fly kites.

I think all levels of goverment need to make affordable housing available to those who need it. It should be spread around within reason, not entirely relegated to the friges of town. If this isn't done, the government and ordinary citizens who participate in democracy are to blame, not people who move to and/or develop less affluent neighbourhoods when they did not grow up there. Also, there's no point in complaining about demographic shifts at this bar. Bands are, by nature, ambitious entities who will play anywhere they can get a show... and if people come out they will want to play there again, and the bar will be just as eager to take them back. That's what bands and bars do. If the pub is gentrified, and if that is bad or unfair, what is to be done about it? Is it the bar's responsibility to remain true to their traditional clientele, money be damned? Is it the responsibility of bands to have a ladies'/gentlemen's agreement to stay away from a nice, conveniently-located venue so as not to drive another "scene" out? Should goverment intervene to make sure these conditions are met? I don't think any of those options are reasonable. Decent rock venues in this city are like a pile of raw meat to a thousand starving dogs.

There, now I don't have to post in that thread.

I apologize for neglecting e-mail. It's been a daunting task, but the fog is starting to lift, and I'll likely take care of that very soon.

Ok, you're up to date.

4 Comments:

Blogger Beardo said...

Derrick, I seriously love you.

This summer is going to be spectacular.

Your companion in barbecuing and DIY alcohol,

Beardo

9:23 PM  
Blogger Beardo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Beardo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Beardo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home