Friday, February 23, 2007

Elevator Etiquette

One time I was on an elevator by myself. I was standing by the buttons, which I don't normally do if it's just me. I don't want to be in the way if someone else gets on and needs a different floor.

A mentally challenged guy gets on and says "could you hit two, please", which I did. He stood at the other side, minding his own business. Then, a woman got on who did not seem mentally challenged. But she stood behind me and reached right in front of my face to press her desired button. This pissed me off, because although I fucked up by standing in front of the console, the only corrective action was for me to press buttons for people. Otherwise, I give them no choice but to violate my space.

Was the woman too proud to ask me to press the button? Or did she just not give a fuck about my personal space? The cynic I am, I'm assuming the latter.

The mentally challenged guy handled the situation with much more grace. He knew the social etiquettes of the elevator better than the woman did.

Don't sell people short.

What a weird post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home