Friday, February 23, 2007

Children

My older friends will testify to the fact that I have not said many good things about children over the years. I don't feel confident having any sort of conversation with anyone under twelve, and even being in the same room as a baby usually puts me on edge. So what I'm about to say may shock you.

Today I was getting some lunch and there was a woman behind me in line with a small boy in a stroller. He was probably about 3 or 4, max. He wasn't deformed or anything, but was in obvious misery. I have no idea what was wrong with him, but it looked like a really, really, really bad cold. He didn't talk or cry. He was awake, slumped over to one side with a look on his face that seemed to say "I feel like ASS".

As soon as I saw him, I just felt really sad. He looked powerless to even complain, or express anything, except with the look of misery on his face. My heart really went out to him. I kind of mentally gave him a pat on the head and said "hang in there bigguy".

This may be the first time in my life I've ever felt tenderness toward a child. Usually it's just indifference, annoyance or outright fear.

I must be getting old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home