Friday, June 09, 2006

Other Old Bands (Most Quotation Marks Ever)

I often refer to "Old Band", but in fact I've been in quite a few "old bands". I started off in a "non-adjective punk" band when I was 18. Next up was Old Band, then a plethora of others (including a "surf" band, three "pop punk" bands and even a "youth crew hardcore" band) - plus numerous others of which I didn't consider myself a full-time member.

Only the one from this group ever comes up in conversation, and probably with good reason. But I'm going to bring up Pop Band Three right now.

Pop Band Three's mandate was to write songs that the three of us found funny and catchy. We wrote songs about being dumb, taking obscure drugs (ludes, bennies, etc... none of which I've ever done. How's that for street cred?), having crushes on punk girls and where to eat in H_____x. I was fascinated by the mental image of a dopey guy in a Ramones shirt eating lots of junk food and having innocent, sexless, unfulfilled crushes. This person I guess was a pretend me circa that time (late 90s). Actually, except for the drugs, that was pretty much reality.

Musically we wanted something tuneful yet very punishing, with no filler whatsoever. Hook, hook, done. I think some people took exception to us, but I can't see why, since we were a joke band. Maybe it's because our songs had all this imagery of people doing very self-destructive things, delivered in a carefree, cheery way. We kind of glorified stuff like sniffing glue, even though none of us did. Of course, sniffing glue can really fuck up a person's brain. Looking back, it might have been irresponsible of me to find that funny, not to mention artistically weak to glamourize self destruction from a safe distance. Or maybe our music just sucked. We sounded like the Ramones or the first Donnas album.

Anyway, I thought about this band today because some lyrics were getting stuck in my head. Here they are:

See Her Tonight
(written by me, 1997. recorded by "Pop Band Three" 1998.)

I'm gonna see her tonight (X3)
I'm gonna see her alright

She was walkin' down Spring Garden Road
And then she made my brain explode
I know it's gonna be alright
I'm gonna see her tonight

Tonight, tonight*

The next day, I saw her at my school
And all the boys thought she was cool
But after school she's not around
She's beating kids up downtown

Leather jacket, freaky hair
She's a weirdo, I don't care
I asked her out, she said 'alright'
I'm gonna see her tonight

Tonight, tonight*

Hangin' outside at the high school dance
Kissin' in front of her locker
She makes me feel like 'DYN-O-MITE'
Just like JJ Walker, baby**

I'm gonna see her...
Tonight ***

* The first 'tonight' is pronounced with 3 syllables, the second with 6.

** A butchered reference to the 70's sitcom "Good Times", in which Jimmie Walker starred as "JJ Evans". His 'dyn-o-mite' was Bart Simpson's 'aye caramba'.

*** The song's final 'tonight' is pronounced with ten (10) syllables, mimicking a 4-part harmony.

Just for clarity's sake: "Pop Band Three" is not the name of the band. I just don't like making my bands searchable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home