Tuesday, June 20, 2006

New York: The Reckoning

After a sweltering day in Brooklyn, we headed off to Manhattan to take in one last show before moving on. It was in a small club on the Lower East Side. The bill consisted of a local band (that awesome one that played Providence), a RI-based band and two other touring bands.

The turnout was not great; maybe 10-15 people besides the bands. The entire evening was fraught with technical difficulties... mics cutting out, patchcords not working, things like that. I got the sense that the bands were not entirely pleased with the show. It must be tough to feed off an audience when there isn't one. One band in particular tried so hard... but in this huge city with so much going on, it must be hard to get a crowd, period, let alone get them riled up. If I were in one of those bands, I think I'd just be happy I played in New York and move on.

We crashed with a different friend this time... I felt bad because we showed up at his house at 3am, when he had to work the next morning. Our heartfelt thanks go out to this kind samaritan.

The next morning we had to hit the road early.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home