Saturday, April 01, 2006

Wild Times In The City

Not really, but last night there were a lot more people milling about downtown than usual, what with the awards blah blah blah stuff. Prime time for people watching.

GS had our own business to take care of though, a little north of downtown. We were happy to be playing a show on this weekend and we're glad someone gave us the chance. I was a little worried though... there weren't a lot of familiar names in the relatively disparate lineup. More often than not, we either set up shows with our friends' bands or vice versa. That said, I don't mind playing in a really diverse lineup. But I often find it's feast or famine in that situation.

Despite the current tour planning frenzy, I don't feel all that comfortable playing with GS in front of strangers. Somehow, I imagine BB being an easier pill to swallow for those not "in the know". That's debatable I guess, but I'm off topic.

There were very few people I knew at this show, or even recognized. Come to think of if, there weren't a lot of people there, period - but with so much going on that's no surprise. LA showed up before we went on... she understands. We convinced DS to come down too, despite his early work schedule. Then another friend showed up, and we no longer outnumbered those who knew what they were getting into. So I felt good about that. When we finally did play, we had between 6 and 10 people come up to watch us. That's enough to ease the awkwardness of playing to a roomful of strangers.

We had major sound problems from the get-go. The vocals fed back... there were questions about guitar volume... the always-present tuning issues. Poison and I each broke a string - mine, of course, was the low E - in a song that really needs a low E.

GS is a band that's at its best playing loose, yet there's no margin for error in anything we do. If the guitar cuts out (or sounds like ass), that's all we've got. A smart car is good on gas and easy to park but if you get hit by a truck, you're dead.

The set had its ups and downs. At times I wanted to hide my head, but at other times I thought we were totally on top of our game. I felt more comfortable with the guitar than the drums, which doesn't normally happen. I think the few people who stayed enjoyed themselves. One person who only caught the end came up and complemented us afterward... this surprised me a little, because I thought we'd descended into total barf by the end. But thanks!

Now we have no shows booked. The break will do us good spiritually. We'll write shit, or spend our time in similarly useful ways. The record release show is going on soon. Records are good.

1 Comments:

Blogger creep said...

i'm working for sony/BMG this weekend. jessica whyte gave me a juNO CASES pin. i'm wearing it over my heart to make sure at least a little bit of my soul doesnt get sucked out

1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home