Sunday, March 26, 2006

Bleak

That was a bleak note to end on, but there's nothing more I could add. That said, I think something good can be taken from the experience. It makes me think about class hierarchies in society... not that I don't already think about it.

I think of times I've been asked for money on the street. I don't often give anybody money, but I wouldn't say I never do. I certainly don't disrespect somebody who asks unless they're disrespectful first, which I find rare.

I don't like to see human beings forced to degrade themselves. Yet, the problem of poverty is so large, I really don't know what I can do as an individual. One very minor (arguably meaningless) thing I do is separate my money-recyclables from no-money-recyclables when I put them on the side of the road. It makes me sad to see people rooting through blue bags for pop cans, etc. I put them in their own bag so someone could just pick them up and go.

Maybe you're rolling your eyes now or making gestures of sarcastic approval. I don't think you can just give people money all the time. Is there an acceptable ratio of "sorry" to "here you go"? I never seem to be in a good mood after a stranger asks me to do something, which doesn't help. But as much as I can get irritated in those situations, I know that every person has a different story. I try very hard not to judge, much less mock.

Sometimes people at my work complain about the job, particularly the money. I think that's an absurd complaint, as long as there are people who have to dig cans out of blue bags to survive. I know it could have been me just as easily as it could have been anyone else.

Maybe a middle-class guy has no credibility discussing this topic.

2 Comments:

Blogger creep said...

when i was really young, i used to think that when people talked about hookers, they were talking about the comedic guys who hooked people offstage when they were terrible.

3:39 PM  
Blogger the baron ash von foolishness said...

I worked with someone whose very young daughter used that word in a department store to describe coat hangers. I'm sure she was appalled, and the other grown-ups amused.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home