Tuesday, November 27, 2007

New Developments In Television

I was reading a thing today about new devices that make it easier to watch TV. Of course, that's another big investment followed by a monthly bill. TV's worth it only if it's free or very cheap. Why pay for channels you may never watch? Shit, why pay for shows you'll never watch? To custom design what you want to watch on TV is either impossible, or prohibitively expensive. At some point you've got to wonder whether it's worth it.

I got rid of my TV a year and a half ago because it didn't work anymore and I had no room for a new one. Smart move.

On the other hand, this really makes me feel like I'm turning into my parents. They've never liked TV and were always getting after me for watching too much when I was a kid. It's sort of a bummer to see their side of the issue, since I was so passionately against them at the time. I remember when I would have taken up arms in the street for the right to watch this show, or that show. Hard to believe, especially given the quality of some of this stuff (maybe this one would have been alright).

I guess hindsight is 20/20. Ever wax nostalgic about a show you loved as a kid, only to see it again as an adult and be like "whoa, what was I thinking"? Here's a good example... and here's another. The second of these examples (note the female lead!) was particularly disappointing. I remember this show was my first real introduction to punk rock, albeit from a horribly inaccurate Hollywood viewpoint. Years later, I thought it would be sweet to watch it again, to compare with my own high school experiences (which only happened about five years later). I was sad to realize, this show was AWFUL!! The obvious laugh track just made it worse. Maybe I was expecting this.

What a ramble. Serves me right for neglecting this thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eb said...

Y'know, I watched a bunch of episodes of your second example last year, and it actually stands the test of time surprisingly well. A veritable classic.

I'm still trying to get rid of televisions. It's like some kind of Cronenbergian infestation.

7:01 AM  
Blogger the baron ash von foolishness said...

The physical humour was top notch, I agree there. Several episodes really stand out: (run-on sentence warning) like when they when they went to the private party on the island and had to fly there in a small plane and Jack was afraid to fly so he took drugs to calm himself down but instead he went bonkers and started dancing around with a plant pot on his head.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home