Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Der Straßenmarkt

I didn't really have too much of a problem with it, to be honest. I did at first. I thought it was sketchy. Why my house? After a while I felt like... I don't use the space for anything, and certainly he could use the money. I have to say, I've never been more aware of class-related issues since moving to this apartment.

When the store below was vacant there were no other players in this drama, so the status quo was maintained. But when a new business moved in over the winter, I saw potential for issues. Apparently, they have come to a head and der Straßenmarkt has been discontinued by the local authorities.

There are reasons I could be happy about this. Der Verkäufer has not been very nice to us - especially this past weekend, with his heavy-handed treatment of a small, easily remedied problem. "What comes around goes around", I could say. Yet I don't really feel all that happy about this. He was over-the-top with us this weekend, but there were issues of language and culture involved. Der Straßenmarkt may have been a big chunk of his livelihood. All he stuck us with was a bummer evening, so I can't really dance on this grave all that much.

Anyway, I don't know what we transpired between der Verkäufer and die Hundunterlegscheibe, but it's not hard to see her argument here, as a small-businesswoman.

I'm not involved in this, and I don't know how I feel about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home