Sunday, June 18, 2006

New York

Leaving Providence, we travelled south to New York. There were numerous stoppages on the interstate and we took a wrong turn. Turns out, the wrong turn is just what we needed, and we arrived at our hosts' home with relative ease. This is, after all, an enormous city. I had to lead the second vehicle through some tenuous traffic situations, and W performed admirably behind the wheel in some really touch-and-go spots. We couldn't afford to get separated here.

I have to take my hat off to our most generous hosts here in Williamsburg. They have no less than 8 house guests right now, and the apartment is by no means huge. I want to thank everyone here for putting us up/putting up with us.

Last night we had a few drinks and went off in search of a party which proved elusive at first, and no fun in the end. A group of at least 15 of us went on this mission at, like, 2am. Not late for here at all. Our walk took us through areas with a lot of closed up businesses with heavily-tagged garage doors over their storefronts. I would not have felt especially comfortable had it not been for the size of the group. But having now become a little more familiar with the area we're staying, I don't think it's as sketchy as it looks. The buildings and streets themselves scare me more than the people, for some reason.

This morning we explored W'burg on foot (a small part of it at least). I bought a nice shirt and a cool pair of sneakers. $27 isn't a lot for a pair of sneakers, but it is if they're used. They're pretty nice though. Got some records too.

Tonight Tobe, Ube and I went to see some noise bands on the Lower East Side. It was friggin' awesome. What a vibrant place, and less scary than I'd imagined (at least the part we were in). We took the wrong subway home, thanks to me. This was at 1:30am... which you'd think would be a bad scene but it wasn't. If you'd told me a year ago I'd be standing in the wrong subway station in Brooklyn at 1:30am I would have shit my pants. But it was a pretty run-of-the-mill event. New York's alright. Period.

Tomorrow I'm going to another show on the Lower East Side. I hear there are a couple of out of town bands on the bill. I bet they're excited to play in Manhattan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home