Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A Special Post For A Very Special Day

Figuring out one's living arrangements is a very important thing. Right now I think the way to go is the sublet. It's finite; if you end up not liking the place... well, you were never meant to live there for long anyway. Some sublets offer an "option to renew". That's a good option. Maybe you'll end up liking where you are, and not want to leave. But if this is the case, you'd best make sure the landlord doesn't want to kick you out at the end of the lease and rent to someone else. That sort of thing can happen.

Looking around me, I've seen the sublet work out, and not work out. Some tennants are kicked out unceremoniously, and without notice (oftentimes they brought on themselves; having too many guests over, etc.) Others opt out at the end of the summer; others stay around for another year, and another year after that.

Sometimes people (usually people who have rented for awhile), will eventually decide to buy a house. I've seen a lot of people my own age do this lately. It seems like a lot of hassle and legal BS to me. That said, I've never ruled out buying a house myself. I don't think I'm at the stage in my life to do things like that though. It would have to be one helluva house.

There are other options out there. I know more than a few people who have been able to "couch surf" for extended periods. Year after year, a new couch every couple of nights. In a way, I admire people who are able to do this, and I've thought of trying it myself. Life would never be boring. I kind of like a little familiarity though. An apartment is only as drab as you allow it to be. If you're getting bored, put up some artwork, paint the place or something. You might be surprised.

There are also people out there who don't live anywhere at all. How much part choice has in this is difficult to say, and would depend on the individual. This is probably not my prefered option for living. I think I like the sublet.

Hey, I never said I was clever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home