Saturday, February 11, 2006

Get Confidence

Confidence can make the difference between success and failure in almost any endeavour, and playing music is high on the list. It can elevate any kind of music, not just the kinds that are hard to play. It doesn't always come easily at first - at least it hasn't for any band I've ever been in. It helps to not dwell on your band's shortcomings or think "we suck". Another thing I'd recommend is not worrying too much about what people think of you. A friend of mine back in high school once told me that no matter what kind of music a band plays, there's going to be someone out there who likes what they do. It's easy to make friends with people like that. If you must require a reaction from people in order to be inspired (which I don't recommend), focus on these people and shut everyone else out. Don't resent people who tell you your band sucks; be indifferent to this opinion. Oftentimes, these people don't like or don't know the "genre" you're in, so their opinion is meaningless anyway. If, for example, a friend of mine is learning a foreign language and they ask me how their grammar is, I'm not qualified to have an opinion. So if someone who only likes pop music tells me my thrash band sucks, there's no way I can take them seriously.

One time a band I was in got a new member and I had to teach him our set. He had a lot of trouble learning the songs because "they all sound(ed) the same". Now I have nothing personal against this gentleman, but let's just say we did not see eye to eye about what could be called good music. He listened to one band in particular that I really can't stand, and our songs varied WAY more than than theirs. Songs sounding the same is a useless complaint that has no meaning. All it means is the person evaluating the music is probably not into that genre, and therefore is in no position to say whether the band is "good" or "sucks". I don't know whether or not haddock tastes better than herring. I don't eat fish. It all tastes the same to me.

I don't know why I'm saying this, I guess it's all kind of obvious. When you play, do it with authority. Play hard, but don't just flop around up there like you're doing some sort of half-hearted interpretive dance. If the music you're playing makes you want to move, then for godsakes move. If it's not a "moving" kind of music, don't be afraid to look really interested in what you're doing. Otherwise, there's no reason for the audience to be, either.

As I finish this entry, I think of that song from a few years ago about everybody being free to wear sunscreen. I hope I don't sound quite that pathetic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home