Saturday, October 17, 2009

Complaining about things you perceive to be trendy, that were 5 years ago but aren't now, is so lame. You come off like a grumpy old reactionary, like someone's mean, shitty dad... "turn off that noise! we had real music back in my day! like 'skinnerd!" This attitude should be the enemy! I hated it when I was a teenager and that hasn't changed.

If I'd complain about anything it's musicians who only play the plainest, more boring, generic rock music possible because anything else would be... wait for it... PRETENTIOUS!

I used to hate trendiness in the music scene, and to a large degree I still do. But sometimes I think it's almost the lesser of two evils. The other being plainness. You listen to plain, obvious bands that play it safe artistically, and you end up being a faded copy of that. I hate both of these things!

Good rock and roll should have at least some elements of weirdness, however minute. Even if you just play A-D-E, but you play it so hard you look like you're trying to murder your instrument (or yourself), that counts as weird. It shouldn't, because I think playing that hard is just normal. That's the least I can ask of a band!

Just give me something different, somewhere. It can be small. It can be your whole band and everything you do. But give me something. Not this grumpy old man bullshit.

1 Comments:

Blogger the baron ash von foolishness said...

And what's with ragging on bands with no bass/2 basses/2 drummers/etc. You seem to be saying that this is also pretentious. I don't get that. If it was like "I'm not into bands with no bass", that'd be one thing. But why is it wrong for someone else to try and play rock and roll music that way? Or listen to it? Maybe I like music to sound that way. Does this really make me an asshole in your eyes? What's the big deal? When I don't like music I just ignore it. If asked I'll be like "I'm not into that".

Maybe there are some reasons to call out a band. "Your lyrics are stupid." "You sound exactly like that other band." The structure of the band, who cares?

This goes back to donkey rock vs elephant rock. That's what this is all about. I think I must be a donkey. I feel like a real outsider among elephants. Except for moderate once I guess. And you know, it does work both ways. A rockabilly fan might feel uncomfortable at a spazzed-out art-punk happening. Could that drive a person mock opposing viewpoints? Shit, maybe that's what I'm doing right now!

I say, rock and let rock. Play as traditionally as you please. But don't mock people for weirding out.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home