Sunday, October 04, 2009

I made the right decision to stay here. I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I felt I had to bring more to the table, artistically, than is within my capability. I would not want shows to become like a reading list. Yes, the books are very interesting; but if you get behind on your reading, others will surpass you in the quest for excellence, and you will have to learn to accept being a C+ student.

I could also make the metaphor sporty. A young man likes to play hockey. He's in a recreational league. He wonders what it might be like to try out for a pro team. Friends have told him he could make it. But then he would have to practice a lot more, work out a lot and maybe hire an agent. He struggles with this. He wants to be the best he can be. He has good friends who have gone pro, and are willing and able to take those extra steps a pro has to take. What they get in return is worth it. But would it be "worth it" for him? What if everyone just blew by him on the ice and he found himself sitting in the stands all the time?

At least now he knows he can can play every night and really help a team win. It's great to wonder "what if", but one has to be realistic.

1 Comments:

Blogger the baron ash von foolishness said...

I thought that post would sound dumb after the fact, but it doesn't. That's about the size of things.

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home