Sunday, April 26, 2009

Last Call

The folks at the house on North Street where I used to live are all moving out and going their separate ways. To commemorate the occasion, one final big party was thrown last night.

It was a classic party like the ones we used to have. Festivities started in the afternoon with barbecuing and homebrew. Bands and solo artists performed sets. JWO and MVH were particularly amazing. Briantology crowd surfed from the living room to the kitchen during the latter. I played in two bands; the first was a loose new project where I play drums. That seemed to go well, but I was kicking myself for forgetting my earplugs.

ECT played later on. We were looking for some redemption. There was the botched cover at the art opening last weekend, then an open mic fiasco on Monday (this involved the drums being very loud in the PA, but the three of us being too far behind the speakers and unable to hear the beat... leading to a train wreck of a set). We had to kill at this show. Five minutes before playing, N and I came to the realization that our drummer was back at the house. I was in no condition to go get him, so another solution needed to be found, and fast. Our friend 'Bango' agreed to bail us out and be the first human being to play drums in our band. With literally NO practice, he was perfect. He did not screw up a single beat. HUGE kudos to him for that. The set went well, it was a little trashier than usual, but we were all feeling it.

I know this is going to happen, but hopefully people won't encourage us to "get a real drummer" full time. We deliberately chose to used canned beats, it's an important part of how we want to sound. I'll make a mixtape for anyone who doesn't understand.

I brought along a cigar I had been given as a gift. I was rather eager to share, and definitely in the right frame of mind to do so. God knows how many people smoked that thing. Dozens. It was a good stogie, but you'd have to be drunk to be the 36th person to smoke it.

I don't know how long the party went on. We left around 1:30 and it was still going strong. N and I tried to be good citizens and bag up some bottles and cans before leaving. We gave up after two full blue bags. We didn't even touch the backyard.

It was a fitting send-off to the house. Everything was perfect as far as I could see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home