Monday, November 27, 2006

Pop Cycle

I seem to be on this cycle where every five years I discover a pop band that completely blows my mind. Ten years ago it was the Ds, five years ago it was DB, now it's the aforementioned HL. In all three cases I was like "where has this band been all my life??" Seriously, I can't get enough of the first Radio Hits comp. I have to hear everything this band has recorded.

These bands have a number of things in common. They are all fronted by women (the Ds being all female, HL predominatly so) and sound unapologetically girly, albeit in different ways. All three, when at their best, wrote very traditional sounding pop songs, seemingly uncorrupted by the many horrible aspects of modern music. Not so much DB, but the other two are/were pretty silly in their prime, as if they had no idea how awesome their songs were.

It takes me a while to warm up to most bands, so when one knocks me on my ass right away, it's a big deal. It's also a big deal when I can listen to the same album more than once in one day. I've done that for all three of these bands, and not many others over the past decade.

It should be noted, the Ds went in the toilet after three singles and one LP (in my opinion). DB also ended up there, but it took them longer. HL have been at it since the early 90s, and their new stuff sounds pretty good to me.

I found it odd that these three similar discoveries occurred in almost exact five year intervals. Just thought I'd share my boundless enthusiasm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home