Sunday, April 16, 2006

Different Ego Strokes

A musician can reach a point where he or she "rocks out" too much when they're playing. Where the audience just goes "oh, brother". I've seen this happen. GS played with a band once where this one guy really exaggerated everything he did up there. It was comical. Such things can be done with a sense of irony, but we all know the line between ironic posturing and just "posturing" can be blurry.

GS and BB played a party last night, for some friends who just got married. It was a busy week and GS could not practice, but I think we did alright. The stage was small, but unstable. The drum kit wobbled on the shakey floor... not a good thing, if you've seen us play. I think we've played better, but it was certainly not a write off.

BB on the other hand did one of our best sets ever. We opened with a cover by the married couple's band (the more gentle of the two they're in together), which hopefully was a pleasant surprise for somebody. I think we played it well, despite the contrast in styles. We didn't stop between songs, no strings broke, everything was tight and I swung my guitar around a lot. I didn't feel like the audience was into it though. Looking back, this makes me feel some anxiety about rocking out onstage. At the time though, I didn't care.

Then I got in the car and rushed to the radio station to do my show. I was only 4 minutes late, but Ube was in control of the situation.

3 Comments:

Blogger UberDestructinator said...

That's funny. I thought I didn't rock out enough last night, in retrospect. I feel that people expect me to put a lot of effort into my performance. Last night I just didn't feel like pushing myself and just wanted to give what I had, nothing more, nothing less.

5:29 PM  
Blogger the baron ash von foolishness said...

Chik said something funny, which I don't think was a criticism. He said we looked like "heroin chic". I said I'm starting to feel like "Poison Idea chic".

6:08 PM  
Blogger em said...

congrats on winning the $$$ last night.

you kids deserve it!!

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home