Sunday, August 05, 2007

514: The Final Chapter

...last stop on the trip. We really built up some momentum at the last show and this seemed a great opportunity to end on a high note. We'd be playing with old friends, for old friends. The venue was a small but reputable bar on St-D. We got there early to load in (not as early as we could have... traffic was bad due to...). None of us wanted to navigate back home after that, so we flaked out in various locations. Here was mine:



I was tired but looking forward to this show perhaps more than any of the others. I tried not to drink too much beforehand, always a risk when you hang around the bar after load-in. I played it smart this time.

The opening act was a nice combo of ambient, free music and film projection. This got everyone in the mood for an adventurous show. The Spesh were up next. I was sporting their t-shirt (yes, I'll wear a band's t-shirt to their show - imagine!), as was GN sporting a BB t-shirt. That man understands. Anyway, those guys kicked ass as always. I felt like I was at the One World! The third band was the same two-piece noise outfit we played with last year, and they were awesome once again. You should see the posters they made for this show! (come over to my house and I'll show you)

We were up. I was just buzzed enough to rock harder than usual, but sober enough to remain in control of what I was doing. I rocked a little too hard on the first song and broke a string. Tobe kept the crowd into it with some clever banter while W&E improvised. In his banter, T referenced these guys, but no one seemed to get it. Even after I got tuned up and whipped off a bar of their 1972 hit single. (I'd like to dedicate that song to W's van, by the way) We blasted through most of the new album and our split with the above noise band. The closer was 'Dick again and we nailed it with the help of GN and perhaps others I did not see. W's drums stopped working at the end so I set the theremin to a feedback-heavy delay and did some interpretive dance. This was a great show... maybe the best of tour. Many thanks to all who helped put it together!

Afterwards we were supposed to play a party. I felt like I was done for the night, but I was willing to have a go if everyone else was. The plan was to just do B'dick, but a wild, freewheeling version with lots of extra members. We got to the party and checked out the scene. It soon became evident we would not be playing. People were dancing rhythmically to music with no beat. I felt like the entertainment might best be provided by someone other than BB. After some sociable hanging out, we left.

WE was a trooper - he drove all the way to F'ton from Mtl on no sleep. I was unconscious for vitually all of this. That's the best way to experience that drive.

Now we're back home and it's probably for the best. We've been in close quarters for a long time and it was starting to show. But this tour was awesome.

Fucking awesome.

2 Comments:

Blogger UberDestructinator said...

Congratulations!!

9:57 PM  
Blogger 1233 said...

Great show, dude. Sorry I couldn't stay and hang out longer... I felt like a zombie the whole time I was there. It was really great seeing you guys though and I'm glad you had a good time. I hope some of those cocksuckers who demanded to be let in for free (which the bar happily obliged to, I might add) bought your CD.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home