Monday, September 08, 2008

How often is too often for a band to play in a city of 370,000? I'm trying to work out a formula I can apply. Twice a month at the same venue seems like too much. Two different venues might be alright. Three shows/three venues in a month is pushing it, but a special event like a house party or a guerilla show under an overpass shouldn't count.

What role should new material play in the equation? I think you earn one show opportunity over the above for each new song you play. So, twice in a month at the same venue is alright if you have a new song the second time.

I don't like to overplay. It's like fucking the audience when you should be "making love". I want the audience to have a rare and special experience at every show. And that group includes me.

We went from never playing, to playing constantly. GS spent time in this trap. It's a feeling I don't like. You never want to seem like a prick, turning down shows and all, but sometimes you just have to. You need to.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gary F said...

I used to struggle with this a lot back in the days when I was playing live. I could really relate with everything you said. I do agree that more than twice a month in the same city is way too much...once a month in said city is sufficient. You don't want to be over-present. Give 'em a little of a good thing and they'll always want more. :)

I recall seeing a documentary about Kid Rock's early days. Now, I am definitely not a fan, but it did mention that in his early days, he would only do 2-3 shows a year, and someone commented that because of this, each show was an "event", and people would really go out of their way to attend. I do think that was a smart move.

And turning down show offers. Man, do I know that feeling. :( It's never easy. I know exactly what you mean.....you never want to come off as an ungrateful dick, but sometimes you just know deep down it's the right thing to do at that time.

-Gary

1:23 AM  
Blogger the baron ash von foolishness said...

Agreed. Voivod was the same way with rare shows... they used to play Montreal only once a year, and that was at the peak of their popularity. If a band plays all the time I get the feeling that they just enjoy being onstage and don't care about giving the audience a special experience every time. I find it off-putting when a band only seems to be playing live to amuse themselves... especially when I paid good money to see them!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Beardo said...

There is something to be said about getting to be a good band by playing lots of shows. You can practice all you want but stage experience helps a lot. I remember reading about Blue Rodeo's early days and they'd play every week at the same place. They became really good because of that (sure it helped it was Toronto and not a city like Halifax). I've definitely watched bands in Halifax play so much I couldn't be bothered to go to their shows for a while but have also recognized how much they advanced as well. Tough call.

10:23 AM  
Blogger the baron ash von foolishness said...

Good perspective, P.L. There's a middle ground to be found here, somewhere.

3:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home