Thursday, April 10, 2008

Ash, You Need To Get On...

Here's the thing: I have this paranoid compulsion against using my real name on the internet for any reason... private or not (nothing's truly private in cyberspace). I just can't bring myself to register for a networking service where real names are used.

I am, however, considering adopting a fake but real-sounding name for this purpose. I'll have some kind of clue in the name so that people in the know can guess it's me. The reason I'm seriously considering this now is that I'm encountering more and more people who use fb as their sole means of electronic communication. Other than that, I wonder how much I'd really use this service... apart from seeing if old friends have aged poorly or not.

One thing I don't want to deal with is disabling a whole bunch of defaults that track my online purchases and shit. That's horrible!! (I heard that's been phased out, but still). I detest having to endlessly "opt out" of services I don't want. I've also heard it's difficult to put music on fb... a friend who uses it told me they want your sin number or a scan of a real ID!! FUCK. THAT. I'm still on ms, but music is now the only thing I use it for.

I admit I'm guilty of not giving people much to read here nowadays, but I wonder how many people even care about blogs now, given the above situation. Some probably do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"Vollrath Trom" is already taken (not by me). The defaults as far as I can tell are: people on your local network can see a limited version of your profile, anyone searching your name can see a profile picture and your list of friends. The only problem I can see with not using your real name is that you miss out on the whole "twenty-first century phonebook" aspect of things. It gives you a layer between your personal email and complete anonymity.

There's about a dozen different ways to put your music on FB, not the least of which is a CBC Radio 3 player, so you can link to the music you already have up there. My personal favourite is one called iLike. This thing of having hundreds of apps you can add or remove is simultaneously one of the great joys and pains of FB. Be prepared to be disappointed by Funwall.
I think you can bypass most of the other linkage by using a different email for FB than you use for other services. I've never had a problem. I think the realization that the information is so easily obtained and correlated is the scary part. Resist the urge to videotape and post your latest crime spree and you should be okay.
-Xn

2:14 AM  
Blogger the baron ash von foolishness said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:01 AM  
Blogger the baron ash von foolishness said...

Also, cja120:

Play Helen Love on your show.

That is all.

2:31 AM  
Blogger the baron ash von foolishness said...

Thanks, Xn, I appreciate your input. I will likely use this information in the future.

The whole "twenty-first century phonebook" thing is exactly what I want to avoid. I've had an unlisted phone number ever since I moved out of my parents' place. I don't see that ever changing. Basically, I just want to be in on my friends' inside jokes.

Edited part: what I'd been hoping to avoid was being the subject of a "yearbook look-up blitz" scenario. I figure most of the people I would add would be current close friends, with a few notable exceptions.

Er...hypothetically, or course.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home